Wednesday, January 10, 2007

At Home with Subra

The New Paper (9 January 2007) has a special feature on our HUFC Captain S. Subramani, or affectionately known as Subra. Subra is retiring from the Lions after (gasps!) 111 caps for Singapore! Kudos to TNP for this report - Subra is someone who definitely deserve more recognition for his contribution to the country and the local football scene.

As you can see, I respect Subra very much. On the field, Subra is very much like the milder (temper) and "civilised" Roy Keane of HUFC, whom the team and fans will miss if he is not playing. (I use Roy Keane as an example because Subra likes Man United - like me :) - but Subra don't really get drunk and box people in pubs or deliberately step on people's face on the pitch lah).

On the contrary, Subra reads the game well and is very effective as a defender without playing dirty or "behave like a bull-dozer". Respected and well-liked by everyone (Keane was feared), Subra is also genuinely friendly and approachable off the pitch.

Can someone give this man some national award or something (my personal view)?


The Electric New Paper :

Adios Subra

By Wang Meng Meng, 10 January 2007

'IT'S about time.’ 'I've had a long and happy career with the national team and the time is right to leave and make way for the others,' S Subramani, Singapore's long-standing defensive bulwark said sombrely.
'I can still remember when I first received my national call-up in 1995, I was just so excited that my dream to play for the Lions had come true. For me, it has always been the case of taking each match as it comes and giving my best to stay in the coach's plans. Little did I think that I'd have 111 caps today.'
'I'll be 35 this year and I don't think my body can withstand playing for both club and country anymore.'More importantly, I think I'll be leaving on a high. 'We are the defending champions of Asean and we're good enough to retain the title. So, the time is right for me to go.'

'I gave up athletics for football only in late Eighties'
Veteran national defender S Subramani has called it a day. During a fulfilling 12-year career with the Lions, he won two Tiger Cups and 111 caps. Here, he talks to WANG MENG MENG about his retirement from international football and his fondest memories with the Lions.

THE BEGINNING
Started playing football when I was studying in Clementi Town Secondary School.'Before that, running was my first love. I was really into cross-country and long-distance events. I wasn't even a defender when I first started playing. Actually, I was a midfielder and I represented Clementi Town and later, Jurong Institute.
'It was during my A-level days in the late 1980s that I was first spotted when John Chia (team manager) selected me for Combined Schools team. I am eternally gratefully to John for giving me the chance.'After I played well during a trip to China in 1990, I was converted into a centre-back and I've played in defence ever since. And in the same year, I broke into the pre-Olympic team under P N Sivaji.'

PROFESSIONALISM
'I first started out at Premier League side Tiong Bahru (later renamed Tanjong Pagar United) in 1992 when Sivaji, who was coaching the club, gave me my first taste of semi-professional football.'It was an exciting time as I never thought that I will be playing with two Malaysia Cup heroes in Terry Pathmanathan and David Lee.'I later represented Safsa during my national service days and when I left the army, I returned to Tiong Bahru. And in March 1995, I received a phone call.'The person on the line was Douglas Moore. He told me that I had just been called up for the national team for the Philips Tournament (featuring clubs Korean Industrial Bank, Piroozi of Iran and Sweden's Osters IF plus the Thailand national side).'

THE FIRST TIME
I wasn't nervous when I went for my first training with the Lions. Honestly, I was buzzing with excitement as I wanted to learn from great players like Fandi Ahmad, Kadir Yahaya, Lim Tong Hai, Jang Jung and Abbas Saad.'The experience was fantastic. There were lots of banter around and the seniors really made me feel welcome.'You know what, Fandi is actually the biggest joker of the lot. He is always full of jokes and pranks. His friendliness really made me feel at ease. That is something I always remembered.'That should be the way. I don't really pay much attention to this senior-junior thing. I mingle around just like any of the guys.'To me, we're all team-mates and we have all been picked by the national coach to win matches for the country. By welcoming the new boys, I'm doing my part in helping them settle down.'

PATIENCE

'These days, it is easier for the youngsters to walk into the team and stay there.'Back then, it was extremely competitive. All the rookies had to train hard before they are given a chance to start. As for myself, I waited two years before I finally nailed down my place.'That was in 1997 when the Lions toured New Zealand and I played three matches there. When we returned, I was called into Barry Whitbread's office and he told me that he was happy with my performances and it is now up to me to keep the centre-back slot.'The man I replaced was the late Borhan Abu Samah. I don't know how he felt. But I know another dream of mine had come true. My patience had paid off.'

The Future:
Planning to work for Home 'I'VE just signed a two-year contract with Home United and I'll see out my club career with them at the end of the 2008 season.'Coaching? I've not really decided on that as I have enrolled in a programme at Novation Business School.'I had just received my Advanced Diploma in Sports and Leisure Management and I'm currently studying for my degree for the same subject. If everything goes well, I should complete my course next year and I'm looking forward to finding a job in the administrative side.'Of course, with my international retirement, I can spend more time with my wife Vanitha.'You know, I dated her for 10 years before we married in 2002. She's the love of my life.''I fought back'

TIGER Cup was the absolute low.

'So many fans turned up at Kallang to see the Lions get whacked 4-0 by Malaysia. It was an absolute disaster.'At that point, I seriously considered retiring from the national team. But after thinking long and hard about it, I simply couldn't walk away.'It was not right to leave during the lowest point. I picked myself up and vowed to fight back and achieve something before I left.'The 2005 win proved that I made the right decision.'

'Thank heaven for the coaches I had' 'I AM lucky to have played under several fantastic coaches.'Raddy Avramovic has a wealth of experience, having coached in the Middle East and played for Notts County in England. He has a lot of ideas during training and is like a fatherly figure to all of us.

'SAS' THREESOME'

I hope that he will be given more time to coach us. He wants to do lots of good for Singapore football but his ideas need time.'I also want to thank my former coaches at Home United - Robert Alberts and Steve Darby - as well as Richard Woon, the general manager of Tanjong Pagar, who took good care of me.'Overall, I had been really blessed to have learned from these people.''I'm really proud of my partnership with Aide Iskandar and R Sasikumar.'For about five seasons, we were regulars for both Home United and Singapore. We had such a telepathic understanding that we were dubbed 'SAS'.'We complemented each other perfectly. Aide was the broom who reads and sweeps away the danger. Sasi has his height. And I had my pace.'On top of that, we're all great friends off the pitch.''We've got a very good batch of players now. Most of them are between 23 and 25 years old. That is a good age in football.'With the talent that they have, this team can go far. 'All we need is to have the discipline and desire to do well.'It is really up to us now to defend our Asean crown. The time has come for us to be 100 per cent focused on our mission. 'If we can do that, we should be able to retain the title.'

Copyright © 2005 Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. Co. Regn. No. 198402868E. All rights reserved.Privacy Statement and Conditions of Access


No comments: